[R-sig-Fedora] R with external BLAS fails regression test

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Mon Jul 7 17:11:20 CEST 2014

On Mon, 2014-07-07 at 10:09 -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 07/07/2014 08:15 AM, Martyn Plummer wrote:
> > Dear Tom,
> >
> > The change in the Fedora RPM from using R's internal BLAS to external
> > BLAS means the Fedora R binary now fails one of R's regression tests,
> > specifically: tests/reg-BLAS.R. You can run this code by hand to verify
> > the issue.
> >
> > As noted in the R administration and Installation Manual, "R relies on
> > ISO/IEC 60559 compliance of an external BLAS. This can be broken if for
> > example the code assumes that terms with a zero factor are always zero
> > and do not need to be computed - whereas x*0 can be NaN. This is checked
> > in the test suite."
> >
> > The version of BLAS that comes with R contains patched versions of
> > DGBMV, DGEMM, and DGEMV.  The patch has been in place since 2010.
> > Presumably R blas and reference BLAS have been divergent ever since.
> >
> > I guess this should be reported upstream as a BLAS bug. Recalling the
> > regression test.
>
> Seems like it. In the interim, is there a patch handy, or do I need to
> try to untangle it from the R code?

I have reconstructed a patch (attached) that you can apply directly to
the BLAS source code from Netlib.

Martyn

> ~tom
>
> ==
> University Outreach || Fedora Special Projects || Fedora Legal

This message and its attachments are strictly confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message, please immediately notify
the sender and delete it. Since its integrity cannot be guaranteed,
its content cannot involve the sender's responsibility. Any misuse,
any disclosure or publication of its content, either whole or partial,
is prohibited, exception made of formally approved use