[R-sig-Fedora] Missing make dependency in R-devel

Jeroen Ooms jeroenooms at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:10:43 CEST 2014

It seems that "make" is not declared as a dependency of R-core/R-devel
in fedora/rhel. Therefore one some servers R CMD config does not work:

R CMD config --ldflags
/usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 150: make: command not found
/usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 151: make: command not found
/usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 152: make: command not found
/usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 153: make: command not found
R was not built as a library

Especially the last line is misleading. This leads to unexpected,
hard-to-debug behavior in configure scripts, etc.

Would it make sense to add 'make' as a dependency to R-core or
R-devel? I asked Tom Callaway but he has not responded; I am not sure
if he is still actively maintaining these rpm packages.

Jeroen