[R-sig-Fedora] Problem with X11 fonts under Fedora 17.

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jan 13 01:08:25 CET 2013

On 01/13/2013 12:48 PM, peter dalgaard wrote:
> Rolf,
>
> Like Marc, I'm getting rusty on the Fedora details, but it's possible that the X server or the font server needs to be reset before changes take hold. Possible "xset fp rehash" in a terminal window? Or maybe "service xfs restart".

I tried

     xset fp rehash

and that produced no response --- no error message, but no "acknowledgement"
either.  Then I tried

     sudo service xfs restart

and got
> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart xfs.service
> Failed to issue method call: Unit xfs.service failed to load: No such
> file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status xfs.service'
> for details.

So I then tried

     systemctl status xfs.service

and got
> xfs.service
>       Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
>       Active: inactive (dead)

Looks ominous, to say the least.  No idea what to do about it, but.

Doing

     yum search xfs.service

gives
> Warning: No matches found for: xfs.service
> No Matches found

I hope *somebody* out there can point me in the right direction.

     cheers,

         Rolf