[R-sig-Fedora] R binaries for Fedora 17.

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Fri Aug 2 12:01:23 CEST 2013

I am currently (still) running Fedora 17 --- having not managed to screw
my courage to the sticking place and upgrade.
Even though we are now up to Fedora 20, I think. The traffic on the
Fedora mailing list on the upgrading issue is a bit terrifying.

I would just like to confirm that:

     It is ***NOT*** possible to download a binary of R for  Fedora 17.

Is this correct?

My efforts to obtain a binary using yum install resulted in a binary for
version 2.15.2.  (Whereas of course the source version available from
CRAN is 3.0.1.

I just wanted to check that I am not doing something stupid (like maybe
using an incorrect repository).

I presume that the latest version of R is available as a binary only for
the last version (or last few versions) of Fedora.

Can anyone confirm my presumption?

No biggie.  I can build from source, and indeed have done so.   But
downloading a binary is quicker and I'd just like to get straight what
the true state of play is.

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner