[R-sig-Fedora] tcktk problem with custom R 2.15.0 build on RHEL5

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:42:25 CEST 2012

On May 22, 2012, at 17:13 , Tom Callaway wrote:

> On 05/22/2012 11:09 AM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Thanks for jumping in. My read, and I would ask Peter to comment as well, is that this requirement seems to be specific to the 'sqldf' package on CRAN and not to "base" R more generally. If Fedora/EPEL are including sqldf as a binary RPM for installation via yum, that might be a different scenario however.

Yes, I think this is the case. I don't think there are any structural requirements for Tcl 8.5. AFAIR, we use some ABI features not present in at least 8.0, but I have long forgotten what is the last version to break. However, an ABI level issue would prevent building the package at all, which is clearly not the case here. The remaining issue is whether applications/packages could be using new features. That is pretty much impossible to guard against, but I would assume that we'd be hearing about it if they do....

When Tcl 8.6 finally comes chugging along, there is a non-vanishing chance that I'd try using the new canvas features for a demo or maybe even a graphics device driver. I'll try to remember to check the Tcl version number...

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com