[R-sig-Fedora] Installing texlive dependencies

Peter Baker baker.peter2009 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 03:24:20 CEST 2012

Hi Petar

Glad this worked!

I only install R and R-devel along with the odd R package using yum -
usually I do this so that I know I have the right dependencies are
installed eg graphviz-R. Once installed I often just use
update.packages() which might conflict with 'yum update' if the
versions on CRAN are newer but yum just installs packages over the
top. Strictly speaking I probably should use something like

yum-builddep graphviz-R

to install required dependencies and then in R

> install.packages("Rgraphviz", dep=T)

should work just fine but only for packages already distributed as
RPMs. But I'm lazy. I know there is some talk of an automatic RPM
repository to mirror CRAN which would be great in that packages
wouldn't need to be compiled but just unpacked - which would be much
quicker. Of course thats an awful lot of work and I don't know how far
its got

I doubt it makes much practical difference except that using
'install.packages' may take quite a bit longer when installing many
packages and some dependencies/libraries might be missing so its a bit
more mucking around

Thanks for making a how-to - its a good idea

Cheers
peter

--
Dr Peter Baker | Senior Lecturer/Statistician | Epidemiology & Biostatistics

Room 416 | School of Population Health |The University of Queensland | Public
Health Building | Herston Rd | Herston Qld 4006 | Australia

Ph: +61 7 3346 4747 | Fax: +61 7 3365 5442 | http://www.sph.uq.edu.au/  |
Email: p.baker1 at uq.edu.au or baker.peter2009 at gmail.com