[R-sig-Fedora] installing R from source on fedora

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 21:28:41 CET 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 18:08 , Gavin Simpson wrote:

> <snip />
>
>> Mark, one note: I'd keep the builddir completely separate from the
>> srcdir, and not as a subdirectory. I.e. ../R/configure rather
>> than ../configure.
>
> That was my fault, Peter; I explained how I was doing this on Fedora and
> it worked. I know the advice is to keep a clean source tree and build
> outside it, but that was how I started doing things when I was new to
> Linux and you know what they say about old/bad habits!

No harm done. I'm not even sure that it really matters. Those of us who run "make dist" just tend to get squeamish about keeping the source tree clean.

The thing that you probably _should_ avoid is building directly in the source tree - it is supposed to work, but breaks rather too easily.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com