[R-sig-Fedora] installing 2.14.0 on fedora

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Nov 7 16:14:07 CET 2011

On Nov 7, 2011, at 9:00 AM, Mark Leeds wrote:

> Hi Jose: I started totally from scratch and did that yum-builddep R as you
> suggested.
>
> Then I checked out the latest R 2.14 branch using svn.  But now, when I
> try to configure, I get an error that  it can't find the MASS package ?
>
> Do you know if MASS is supposed to be available for R .2.14 ? It is not in
> /src/library of the source tree but the makefile.in there has below in it
> which I think makes it look for MASS ? I wasn't getting this earlier so
> could it have something to do with running yum-builddep R before I started
> ?  Is there a way to "undo"
> the yum-builddep R command if that's the case ?
>
> Any knowledge or help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> # CONTENTS OF BOTTOM of makefile.in /src/library OF R source.
> #==========================================================================
> ## Hardcoded dependencies (see '../../../share/make/vars.mk')
> Matrix.ts: lattice.ts
> mgcv.ts: nlme.ts MASS.ts Matrix.ts
> nlme.ts: lattice.ts
> class.ts: MASS.ts
> ## and for static html links
> boot.ts: MASS.ts survival.ts
> cluster.ts: MASS.ts

Mark,

If you are building from SVN as opposed to using the tarball, there is an extra step that is required.

Change into the main folder into which the svn files have been downloaded. Then run:

  ./tools/rsync-recommended

After doing that, then run ./configure, make, etc. The svn repo does not contain the source files for the "Recommended" packages and these need to be downloaded separately via rsync.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz