[R-sig-Fedora] Latest version RPM for RHEL5

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Mar 15 20:22:29 CET 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Fu, Jie Ning wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As of now, the latest version RPM for RHEL5 is 2.10 (http://probability.ca/cran/bin/linux/redhat/el5/x86_64/).
>
> I would really like to be able to use some features/fixes in later versions. So can a 2.12.2 RPM for RHEL5 be compiled? Thank you.
>
> William

Pre-built binary RPMs for RH (RHEL/CentOS) and Fedora based distros are no longer being maintained on CRAN as the RH/Fedora folks are maintaining these in the standard yum repos.

Go here:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

and follow the directions for configuring your RHEL system to use the EPEL. Once done, all you need to do is:

  yum install R

as root or perhaps:

  yum update R

as root to obtain a more recent version of R.

It might be prudent to remove your existing R installation first and then install cleanly, in case anything has changed in the EPEL based RPMs since 2.10.x.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz