[R-sig-Fedora] Scrolling in Help System Doesn't Work

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 18:50:19 CEST 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 17:13 , Tom Callaway wrote:

> On 08/05/2011 11:56 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
>> On my old F13 box, R 2.13.0 still uses "less" by default. Since "less"
>> is often regarded as a more sophisticated version of "more", I wonder
>> why this change has been made.
>
> The change is not Fedora specific, we use the default Environ from upstream.

But that is generated by configure, which does

configure:for ac_prog in ${PAGER} less more page pg

so if it ends up with "more" as the default, I'd say that the test for "less" failed in the build environment. Either that or the shell itself sets PAGER to "more".

(Conversely, you can always override it by "export PAGER=less" before starting R, or Sys.setenv(PAGER="less"), etc.)