[R-sig-Fedora] Building rpm package for Hmisc on Fedora 12

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Wed Oct 13 17:57:09 CEST 2010

Hi, I'm trying to get the 'xts' library from CRAN packaged for Fedora 12, and
one of its dependencies is 'Hmisc'.  I have created a spec file for that using
R2spec, but building it fails with something in building the manual pages:

Warning: ./man/escapeRegex.Rd:22: unknown macro '\backslash'
[similar warnings snipped]
Warning: newline within quoted string at rcspline.restate.Rd:21
Warning: ./man/rcspline.restate.Rd:80: unexpected section header '\value'
Warning: newline within quoted string at rcspline.restate.Rd:21
Warning: ./man/rcspline.restate.Rd:115: unknown macro '\n'
Warning: newline within quoted string at rcspline.restate.Rd:21
Error in parse_Rd("./man/rcspline.restate.Rd", encoding = "unknown", ...) :
  Unexpected end of input (in " quoted string opened at rcspline.restate.Rd:120\
:39)
ERROR: installing Rd objects failed for package ‘Hmisc’
* removing ‘/home/eda/svn_working/packages.fedora/BUILDROOT/R-Hmisc-3.4.4-1.fc1\
2.x86_64/usr/lib64/R/library/Hmisc’
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.ouSqNl (%install)

I had to manually cut down the dependency list generated by R2spec to remove the
R-TeachingDemos and R-Design prerequisites (which would pull in dozens of other
packages, some Windows-only) but I don't believe that is the cause of the above.
Has anyone successfully built an RPM package of Hmisc or does anyone recognize
the likely cause of the above error?

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>