[R-sig-Fedora] Heads up - symlinked GotoBLAS in F14

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Nov 8 09:14:29 CET 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, Gavin Simpson wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 08:54 +0100, Roger Bivand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed F14 on release, but was diquieted to note that my symlinked
>> GotoBLAS (http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Shared-BLAS,
>> foot of paragraph) prevented R (compiled from source, no special configure
>> options) from loading - everything had been fine on F < 14. It seems that:
>>
>> cat /selinux/booleans/allow_execstack
>>
>> is 1 1 on my RHEL systems, but became (?) 0 0 in F14. Could anyone with
>> F < 14 check its value there?
>
> It is 1 1 on both my F13 and F12 boxes (Time to upgrade at least one of
> those I guess...) but I haven't used any BLAS other than the one
> supplied in the R sources.

Thanks. So the SELinux policy on this changed for F14, and likely will
change for RHEL 6. Using GotoBLAS isn't necessary and doesn't help in many
settings, where the standard R BLAS is absolutely OK. But for larger
matrices on multicore machines, it can make things go faster when the
conditions are right, because it can share the operation across cores.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no