[R-sig-Fedora] [R] Failure to load X11 module in Fedora 13.

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 21:47:02 CEST 2010

On 07/06/2010 03:42 PM, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
> On 07/06/2010 03:15 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> You're saying I have to choose between running Blender and running X11()
> in R?
> Is there a way to maybe create symlinks from where X11() expects to find
> the libfreetype to where libfreetype actually is to get both Blender and
> R X11() to play well together?

Well, I'm saying that your copy of blender in /usr/local (assuming that
blender is what put the libfreetype* files in /usr/local) is causing all
of your system applications that depend on libfreetype to break,
including R.

Fedora provides blender as part of its package repositories. I would
recommend trying to use it instead of your copy, as it will properly use
the modern system libfreetype libs.

Simply moving the libfreetype* files out of /usr/local/lib should be
enough to get R working. You might even trying launching blender to see
if it also still works, but it may really need those files. You could
also explicitly tell blender about the new home (that isn't in the ld.so
path) like this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/freetypelibs/ blender

~spot