[R-sig-Fedora] [R] Failure to load X11 module in Fedora 13.

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 14:51:30 CEST 2010

On 07/04/2010 02:30 PM, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
> On 07/04/2010 12:27 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

So, I can't reproduce this at all on Fedora 13:
== i386 (KVM instance) ==
[spot at f13 ~]$ rpm -q R-core
R-core-2.11.1-1.fc13.i686

[spot at f13 ~]$ R

R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> X11()

== x86_64 (my laptop) ==
[spot at pterodactyl ~]$ rpm -q R-core
R-core-2.11.1-1.fc13.x86_64
[spot at pterodactyl ~]$ R

R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> X11()

I confirmed that FT_Select_size is a valid symbol in freetype (on both
arches):

[spot at f13 ~]$ eu-readelf -s /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 |grep FT_Select_Size
  223: 009b6930    128 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT       11 FT_Select_Size

[spot at pterodactyl ~]$ eu-readelf -s /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.6 |grep
FT_Select_Size
  224: 000000000000dc70    108 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT       11
FT_Select_Size

Do you have any libraries in /usr/local/lib? Did you add any paths to
/etc/ld.so.conf ? I suspect you have an old copy of freetype floating
around somewhere. It looks like it is not uncommon for third party
applications (VMWare, VirtualBox) to shove an old freetype library onto
the system.

~spot