[R-sig-Fedora] Help installing R Commander on Fedora 13...

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Jul 2 18:14:30 CEST 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>

>> On Jul 1, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
>>
>>> I did a standard install of R on Fedora 13 using yum as root, which I
>>> assumed installed both the base packages and the devel packages needed
>>> to install R Commander (there weren't any optional packages listed on
>>> the yum info page). My version of R is updated to the latest 2.11
>>> version.
>>>
>>> But, running
>>>
>>> install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies=TRUE) as root, within R
>>> produces the following errors:
>>>
>>> (Last few of a looooong list):
>>>
>>> ** building package indices ...
>>> ** testing if installed package can be loaded
>>> Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'tcltk', details:
>>> call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
>>> error: unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/libs/
>>> tcltk.so':
>>> /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Select_Size
>>> Error : package 'tcltk' could not be loaded
>>> ERROR: loading failed
>>> * removing Œ/usr/lib/R/library/Rcmdr‚
>>>
>>> The downloaded packages are in
>>>     Œ/tmp/RtmpDSqgk5/downloaded_packages‚
>>> Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
>>> Warning messages:
>>> 1: In doTryCatch(return(expr), name, parentenv, handler) :
>>> unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/modules//R_X11.so':
>>> /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Select_Size
>>> 2: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
>>> installation of package 'aplpack' had non-zero exit status
>>> 3: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
>>> installation of package 'relimp' had non-zero exit status
>>> 4: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
>>> installation of package 'rgl' had non-zero exit status
>>> 5: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
>>> installation of package 'RODBC' had non-zero exit status
>>> 6: In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
>>> installation of package 'Rcmdr' had non-zero exit status
>>>
>>> It seems I am missing some packages needed to compile and run R
>>> Commander, but I can't figure out which. I did a standard install of R
>>> from yum on Fedora 13, so I'm not sure which other packages I need.
>>

>> Not all R CRAN packages are available via the Fedora yum repos. Thus, it is not possible for the R yum base/devel RPM packages to include all possible RPM dependencies.
>
> Which external repositories do I need to add to yum in order to add these base/devel packages?

You already have the R base/devel packages installed, so nothing to do there.

The 'devel' and other RPM packages that I reference below are all available via the main Fedora yum repos, so no new yum repos to add for those.

With typical Fedora installations, the 'devel' RPMs, which contain the header (.h) files, are not installed to save space. So when you need to build CRAN packages from source, you need to figure out which ones to install and then do so via yum.  When I was running Fedora (until early last year) I used to install "Everything" to have all this stuff available. But I don't believe that the install everything option is available during installation any longer.

There may be "Development" related groups of RPMs that cover this stuff now, but if you start with the specific list of RPMs to add that I list below, that should get you moving forward.

Marc