[R-sig-Fedora] R installation on Fedora 12

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat Apr 17 01:37:13 CEST 2010

On Apr 16, 2010, at 6:15 PM, Gavin Simpson wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 17:59 -0500, Dennis.Burian at faa.gov wrote:
>> I am migrating from 64-bit RHEL 5 to 64-bit Fedora 12 and I'm getting the
>> following error when I run ./configure in the directory R-2.10.1...
>>
>> checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
>> checking X11/Intrinsic.h usability... no
>> checking X11/Intrinsic.h presence... no
>> checking for X11/Intrinsic.h... no
>> configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not
>> available
>>
>> I've used yum search to look for X11 packages and on the key word Intrinsic
>> without seeing something obvious.  Which package do I need to install to
>> get past this error?
>
> su -c "yum install libXt-devel"
>
> in a shell/terminal should install the relevant header that was missing
> above.
>
> It highly likely that you are missing more of the X11 headers you'll
> need and I forget now exactly which they are.
>
> HTH

This is covered in the R Installation and Administration Manual in Appendix A:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Essential-and-useful-other-programs-under-Unix

"Unless you do not want to view graphs on-screen you need ‘X11’ installed, including its headers and client libraries. For recent Fedora distributions it means (at least) ‘libX11’, ‘libX11-devel’, ‘libXt’ and ‘libXt-devel’."

HTH,

Marc Schwartz