[R-sig-Fedora] Installing R on RedHat EL 5

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Nov 13 22:41:05 CET 2009

Hmmm....that would suggest that yum is not picking up the default RHEL
repos for some reason, as it would seem logical that those files would
be there as opposed to the EPEL. Typically, yum will get any
dependencies from all enabled and accessible repos.

As RHEL's repos for their binary RPMs are only available to folks who
have paid for support, I am not sure how to best assist in getting the
yum repo config RPM so that you can install or re-install it to
confirm that the RHEL repo is configured and active.

One thing that you can check is to use:

   yum repolist

which should show you the current list of configured repos on your
system and whether or not they are enabled. I suppose that it is
possible that either the main RHEL binary repo is not configured on
your system, it is not enabled or perhaps your system is being
prevented from accessing it. You may have to run that command as 'root'.

An alternative, which has some risk, is to use the CentOS yum repos,
which are supposed to be binary compatible with RHEL. The risk is that
if you are in fact paying for RHEL support to RH, I would be hesitant
to mix and match, if there is any risk of complications in the support
contract.

Not having the 'devel' versions of the various RPMs will at some point
cause you problems when installing source packages from CRAN.

A lot of the important details here are going to be dependent upon how
you installed RHEL and whether or not there is a paid support contract
in place for your installation.  If you have a SysAdmin that installed
RHEL for you, he or she would be of help in resolving this.

HTH,

Marc