[R-sig-Fedora] libgfortran.so.3 is needed by libblas

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sun Dec 7 17:24:05 CET 2008

on 12/06/2008 05:00 PM Sakda Chaiworawitkul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't find any forum that's directly applicable to opensuse. My
> apology if I post on a wrong mailing list. But I really like R and
> want to use it on linux. The problem is I'm new to linux. I have
> opensuse 11.0. I download the x86_64 installer from opensuse repo. I
> run the installer and got error saying that libgfortran.so.3 is
> needed by libblas. I found libgfortran.so.3 in my /usr/lib folder
> (not /user/lib64). I guess it's not on lib64 that's why it's
> complaining.
>
> So I create a symbolic link to libgfortran.so.3 from lib to lib64. It
> still doesn't work. I try to install libgfortran from opensuse dvd it
> still says that it needs libblas needs libgfortran.so.3 which doesn't
> make sense to me.
>
> Would anyone kindly advise? It's surprisingly tedious to get a simple
> thing up and running. Thank you.
>
> - sch

Given that this list is Fedora specific, you are limiting the potential
audience that will see your post and perhaps be in a position to offer
suggestions.

There are a few OS/Distro specific R lists, but none for SUSE presently.
Thus, posting to r-help would likely be best and increase the
probability that another SUSE user would see it.

That being said, based upon a search of the archives, you might find
this post helpful:

  http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e4/help/08/05/11309.html

HTH,

Marc Schwartz