[R-sig-Epi] coxphf with frailty, Firth's correction

Steve Bellan steve.bellan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 05:35:40 CET 2015

This is for a power analysis using simulated data and analyses. A power
analysis should use the same methods and criteria as the study which will
be eventually carried out, and since DSMB criteria are often firm and based
on p-values or confidence intervals acquired via a specified method, it
seems like rigorous power analyses should do the same.

In my example, the person-time does differ between clusters. The risk is
also variable between clusters. I agree that the small number of events is
problematic but I guess I'm concerned with how to have rigorous criteria to
decide when the effect is significant, i.e. 12 vs 0, 15 vs 0, 30 vs 0, 100
vs 0? And with the cluster-level heterogeneity I think resolving this
cutoff becomes trickier.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]