[R-sig-Epi] R-sig-Epi Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1

BXC (Bendix Carstensen) bxc at steno.dk
Sat Sep 4 09:36:42 CEST 2010

Further to this thread:

It seems that the only shortcoming in R in relation to epidemiological practise is the data entry side. Which can be excellently handled by EpiData, which can output Stata data files (.dta) that are seamlessly imported to R via read.dta() from the foreign package.

I doubt there are anything on the analysis side in EpiInfo which is not in R, so the only issue is really the accessibility where the learning curve for R (or any command driven package) is steep.
But this is really just a feature of science: You must be able to reproduce your results, so you have to generate code which will re-do your analyses. So the point-and-click systems should not be used in scientific reporting anyway. Some of these systems leave a trace, but the code left is normally largely impenetrable, so not really a documentation of anything but the time you spent operating the mouse.

Best regards,
Bendix
Epi maintainer