[R-sig-Epi] R-sig-Epi Digest, Vol 41, Issue 1

David Evans davidwevans at hotmail.com
Thu May 20 22:54:52 CEST 2010

Olà Mirian,

Are you using Poisson models with an offset?  I've never tried this
with the Epi package so giving us some sample code and sample data
structure would help.

But if you simply use glm, one way to account for over-dispersion is
by specifying family=quasipoisson.  It maximizes the quasilikelihood
rather than the likelihood (don't ask me the maths of this, maybe
start with the Wikipedia...).

Another approach might be hierarchical modelling but we'd need to know
your data structure.

Cheers.

David Evans
Epidemiologist, Kappa Santé