[R-sig-Epi] could someone tell me how to implement a multiple comparison test for proportions in a 2xc crosstabulation

Kevin Viel kviel at darwin.sfbr.org
Wed Jun 14 18:03:04 CEST 2006

xingwang ye wrote:
> I wanna to do multiple comparison test for proportions, could someone
> tell me how in R, thank you!

Typically, we formulate a single hypothesis and test it:

The frequency of exposure in the cases is higher than the frequency of
exposure in controls.

Sometimes we alter this a bit:

The frequency of exposure in the cases is higher than the frequency of
exposure in:

   (a) Control subgroup A
   (b) Control subgroup B
   .
   .
   .
   (n) Control subgroup N

If you have enough groups, then some of the comparisons might appear
suggestive by chance alone (1 in 20 at alpha = 0.05).

One might attempt to account for this via corrections for multiple
comparisons.  In doing this, one increases the stringency of the p-value
(or other evidence).  A conservative approach is the Bonferroni
correction: the critical value for the p-value becomes the nominal value
divided by the number of test.  For instance, at alpha 0.05 and ten
tests the p-value for "significance" becomes 0.005.

You may have something else in mind.  If you write back to the list and
describe the investigation (hypotheses), then we might be able to assist
you better.

Good luck,

Kevin

Kevin Viel
Department of Genetics                  e-mail: kviel at darwin.sfbr.org
Southwest Foundation                    phone:  (210)258-9884
P.O. Box 760549                         fax:    (210)258-9444
San Antonio, TX 78245-0549

Kevin Viel
PhD Candidate
Department of Epidemiology