[R-sig-eco] PERMANOVA and adonis: trying to clear my confusion

Steve Brewer jbrewer @ending from olemi@@@edu
Tue Jan 8 20:03:33 CET 2019

Pedro,

Just to clarify, the approach that I’m advocating (centroidmatrix) comes directly from what Anderson describes in Primer + Permanova (2008) manual for dealing with split-plot designs (which are a type of nested design, pp. 62-64). My understanding of what is done in adonis/adonis 2 is that nesting is handled using the strata function. This randomization restriction could change the p-value of a test, but I don’t think it changes the fact that adonis is using the residual error term to test all effects in the model (somebody correct me if I am wrong about that). Maybe that is a reasonable approach, but that is not how I learned how to do nested, split-plot, and repeated measures using an Expected Means Squares approach, which I believe requires the use of different error terms to test different effects.

I mention this because in your second message you mention differences based on the df of the tests. The randomization restriction, by itself, is not going to affect the error df of the test, only the p-value. Perhaps someone out there does know the answer, but I have personally not found any model statement that will allow one to use anything but the residual error term to test effects using adonis.

Incidentally, nested.npmanova (BiodiversityR implemented through adonis) uses two different error terms to test effects, which in my opinion is a valid approach, but its use is restricted to those simple cases in which you have a whole/sub/residual nested arrangement (i.e., no crossing of factors and thus no interactions).

Steve

Stephen Brewer
jbrewer using olemiss.edu<mailto:jbrewer using olemiss.edu>
Professor
Department of Biology
PO Box 1848
 University of Mississippi