[R-sig-eco] Directional data in time series

g.cerritelli giuli@@cerritelli @ending from biologi@@unipi@it
Tue Sep 4 12:38:03 CEST 2018

Dear R list,

I have data on the heading kept by an animal during a migratory
movement. I would like to represet this data not using a circular plot
but on a xy-plot, to represent the change of kept directions over time.
I have tried already to do this, but because the animal keeps always a
direction between 30° and 250°, the final plot is not easily readable
(the northern directions represented by 0° and 360° are represented at
the opposite sides of the axis). Do you have any ideas on how to set the
order of a continuos variable (from 0 to 360)in a different way for the
axis of a plot? For example I would like to have an y-axis starting at
180° and ending at 179°, with 360° next to 0° (so to have values
indicating the North all in the same area of the axis). Thank you in
advance for any suggestion

Kind regars,
Giulia