[R-sig-eco] How important is to have a balanced design for adonis?

Gian Maria Niccolò Benucci gi@n@benucci @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Oct 29 15:53:29 CET 2018

Hello dear ecologists,

I have a question for you in here. How important is to have a balanced
design for adonis? In other words, how sensitive is adonis() to differences
in sample numbers within the groups I am comparing?

To link this question to the reality, I am trying to compare the microbial
communities of 3 groups of samples (my treatments) and they have 22, 24,
and 24 samples each. I have always thought that an even design would have
been the rule but I found several comments online that were suggesting the
opposite.

What do you think?

Thank you very much in advance,

--