[R-sig-eco] 2-way adonis (PERMANOVA) incl interaction - how to test for main effects?

Ellen Pape ellen@p@pe @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Oct 24 11:52:21 CEST 2018

Hi, see my answer concerning the adonis.II below

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 10:58, Marcelino De La Cruz Rot <
marcelino.delacruz using urjc.es> wrote:

> El 24/10/2018 a las 10:29, Ellen Pape escribió:
> > Hello,
> >
> >     Yes, but is there no way of testing for the main effects and
> >
> >     > interaction simultaneously?
> >     In general, this is "not allowed", to say it with your words.
> >
> > OK, but this is done in general ANOVAs, no? test for interaction and
> > main effects simultaneously (and then if you have a sign interaction
> > term, you cannot interpret the tests for the main effects) - at least
> > that is how I was taught how to do this (but maybe this is wrong?)
>
> You are completely right. Maybe I  misunderstood you as, in my opinion,
> the tests is for the interaction only (even with the main effects
> included in the model), not "for the  main effects and the interaction
> simultaneously".
>

>> > FYI - package "RVAideMemoire" does indeed contain a function to
>> > perform type II adonis tests ("adonis.II"), but no type III tests..
>> Interesting. But this is  the same as adonis2(formula, by="margin"),
>> isn't it?
>

> well, I don't think this is the same, but I don't fully understand, to be
honest. adonis2, "by=margin" for a 2-way permanova tests the effect of the
interaction only between the 2 factors/terms (but is still type I SS?).
adonis.II does a type II SS, for which you get a test for the main effects
and the interaction, but here the order of the terms/factors does not
matter (in contrast to adonis2, by="terms"). Ror the type II SS (and thus
adonis).II, each main effect is tested for after the other main effect, and
the interaction is assumed to be non-significant. The SS for main effect of
a factor is not adjusted for any interactions involving that factor. (this
is info I got from the internet)

I am still puzzled about what would be the best way to analyze my data, but
I have already requested a consult with our statistical dept, so hopefully
they can help me out :)

Best regards,
Ellen