[R-sig-eco] 2-way adonis (PERMANOVA) incl interaction - how to test for main effects?

Jari Oksanen j@ri@ok@@nen @ending from oulu@fi
Tue Oct 16 14:45:02 CEST 2018

On 16/10/18 11:23, Torsten Hauffe wrote:
>   "adonis2(speciesdataset~A*B, by="margin") but then only the effect of the
> interaction is tested."
>
> This is not entirely correct.
> adonis2(speciesdataset~A:B, by="margin") would test the interaction alone.
> ~A*B unfolds to ~A+B+A:B

Well, it was correct: the only **marginal** effect in ~A+B+A:B is A:B (A
and B are not marginal), and by = "margin" will only analyse marginal
effects.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen