[R-sig-eco] Vegan: Question regarding adonis

Pedro Neves pedro.neves at oom.arditi.pt
Tue Mar 6 10:22:25 CET 2018

Dear all:

I have a few questions regarding the use of PERMANOVA (adonis function
in vegan) and maybe someone here might be able to help.

I want to use the adonis function to compare abundance data from 6
locations at different times. I have 35 samples for each location at
each time, totalling 805 observations.

My independent variables are Location (nested in Habitat type) and
Campaign (nested in Season).

Now the questions are:

1 - regarding my replicates (the 35 samples for each location/time):
they enter the analysis or I must calculate average them and use this
average on the Permanova? If they enter the analysis (i.e. no average is
needed) to I need to specify it as a factor in strata?

2 - Nested factors: I'm using a formula like this:

adonis(Myabund_matrix ~ Habitat/Location * Season/Campaign,
strata=Location, data=Mydata_matrix)

Is this the correct approach? Do I need anything else in strata?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

All the best:

Pedro Neves