[R-sig-eco] CI for stratified Cox PH model

Bertolo, Andrea Andre@@Bertolo @ending from uqtr@c@
Tue Jun 5 18:47:22 CEST 2018

Hi everyone,

I have a doubt about the way to calculate 95% CI for coefficients in
the stratified Cox proportional hazard models and your help is welcomed
.

Say that I have a variable of interest Imi and a stratifying variable
UV in a interaction model (since the interaction between Imi and UV is
of interest for me and the interaction model has a better fit than the
no-interaction model:

library(survival)
model1 <- coxph(Surv(start,stop, Status.time)
                   ~ Imi + Imi:UV + strata(UV) + cluster(ID),
                     weights = NB_Event, data=Data.unfold)

Whereas it is pretty straightforward to calculate the coefficients (and
associated HR) for each combination of Imi and UV, I am not sure about
how to calculate the associated CI (note that, of course, I got the CI
for the estimate of "Imi:UV" from the output of model1).

Is it correct to calculate separately a model for each UV level and use
the CI for the Imi variable to get the CI for the two levels of UV (see
below) ?

# 2 models (one per UV level)
data.Low <- subset(Data.unfold,UV=="low")
model2.1 <- coxph(Surv(start,stop, Status.time)
                   ~ Imi + cluster(ID),
                     weights =
NB_Event, data=data.Low)

data.High <- subset(Data.unfold,UV=="high")
model2.2 <-
coxph(Surv(start,stop, Status.time)
                   ~ Imi +
cluster(ID),
                     weights = NB_Event, data=data.High)

Alternatively, is there a way to get the CI directly from the output of the stratified model ?
Many thanks
Andrea Bertolo

Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
3351, bd des Forges