[R-sig-eco] What is the best way to express the goodness of fit for a model obtained by generalized least squares (using gls function from nlme package)?

Rob Robinson rob.robinson at bto.org
Thu Jan 25 00:40:40 CET 2018

 A good place to start with all GL(M)M questions is Ben Bolker's FAQ which
provides thoughts on many commonly asked questions. In particular
http://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#how-do-i-compute-a-coefficient-of-determination-r2-or-an-analogue-for-glmms

An approach I have used in the past (for non-mixed models) is to compare
the deviance of a given model to that of the 'full' model (ie maximal time
and/or space variation) and the null (intercept only) model - see
http://www.cebc.cnrs.fr/publipdf/2008/GBR83.pdf (the FAQ attributes the
approach to Xu 2003)

Best wishes
Rob

***** Check out changes in bird distributions at www.bto.org/mapstore

Dr Rob Robinson, Associate Director - Research
British Trust for Ornithology, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU
Ph: +44 (0)1842 750050       T: @btorobrob
E: rob.robinson at bto.org      W: www.bto.org/about-bto/our-staff/rob-robinson

============ "To go fast, travel alone; to go far, travel together"