[R-sig-eco] mixed model with proportion data

Cade, Brian cadeb at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 8 16:49:34 CET 2017

Mariano:  Just as a follow up on Phil Dixon's comment that is I think spot
on, you probably are better off modeling the response as the logit of the
proportions.  But to more easily deal with true zeros or ones, and to avoid
the back-transformation bias associated with means on nonlinear
transformations like the logit, you might want to consider estimating your
models with logistic quantile regression (see Bottai et al. 2010.
Statistics in Medicine 29: 309-317) rather than some mean regression model.
This is easily done with a fixed-effects model from the quantreg package.
There also are mixed-effects variants of quantile regression but I've not
tried to use them in the logistic quantile framework.  Some other poster
suggested beta regression, which also might be reasonable.  In my
experience, the logistic quantile regression model has greater flexibility
to handle true zeros and ones and odd dispersion patterns than beta
regression.  And of course, you can back-transform the quantile estimates
in the logit scale to the proportion scale without bias.

Brian

Brian S. Cade, PhD

U. S. Geological Survey
Fort Collins Science Center