[R-sig-eco] Factors in partialRDA

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Tue Feb 7 09:55:24 CET 2017

Andy,

That’s correct: if you have coded your variable as a single factor, R (and hence vegan) will automatically create dummy variables. If you have originally coded your variable as a set of dummy variables, and you have done that correctly, you will get the same result. If you do  not drop one of the dummy variables, R will do it for you and tell that some of your original variables were aliased. This will not influence the results, though.

In conclusion: everything goes, but it is best to use the R way and define your factor as a single factor.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen