[R-sig-eco] Plotting power graph for one sample proportion test

Paul Johnson paul.johnson at glasgow.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 11:11:26 CET 2016

Hi Kristen,

As an alternative to simulations you could just run pwr.p.test through the data frame suggested by Roman:

library(pwr)
parameters <-
  expand.grid(
    p.h0 = 0.5,
    p.h1 = c(0.6, 0.7, 0.8),
    n = c(50, 100),
    sig.level = c(0.05, 0.01, 0.001))
parameters$h <- ES.h(parameters$p.h1, parameters$p.h0)
parameters

parameters$power <-
  sapply(1:nrow(parameters), function(i) {
    pwr.p.test(
      h = parameters$h[i],
      n = parameters$n[i],
      sig.level = parameters$sig.level[i])$power
  })
parameters

That just leaves the plotting.

However if you want to use simulations there’s lots of guidance available, including:
* Chapter 5 of Ben Bolker’s book Ecological Models and Data in R.
* We have have written an tutorial which covers GLMMs but starts with a simple power.t.test example, in the supplementary info here: dx.doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.12306

Good luck,
Paul