[R-sig-eco] Simper in Vegan package

JC Arronte j_arronte at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 14 22:26:34 CET 2016

Hi all,

I´m still new to R
and trying to learn how to use the library vegan. I´m carrying out a cluster
analysis on marine fish species distribution and I want to determine the
contribution of each species to the similarity of the cluster groups. I have read
that it can be done with the function “simper”. The problem arises when I want
to look, not only, at dissimilarities between groups but also at species
contribution to similarity within a group.

If I´m not wrong, simper function from the vegan package
computes discriminating compounds, rather then compounds that make a pair
unique.

Is there any way of obtaining information on the
contributions of the most important species to the average similarity within
each assemblage as it can get in PRIMER-E package?. And the average similarity
of each assemblage?.
I get the average dissimilarity using lapply(simper_clusterpeces,
FUN=function(x){x$overall}).

This is the first time I work with vegan and simper function,
thus any assistance would help.

Thanks in advance,

Juan Carlos