[R-sig-eco] reprametrization of Lloyd-Taylor function

Zoltan Botta-Dukat botta-dukat.zoltan at okologia.mta.hu
Sun Mar 6 21:27:25 CET 2016

Dear All,

I tried to fit Lloyd-Taylor function for soil respiration data, but
convergence is often failed and even if the model converged there is
extremely high uncertainty in parameter estimates.

The fitted model is: y=a-b/(x-c), where a, b, and c are the parameters.
(Note that it is not the original Lloyd-Taylor function, in my version
the dependent variable is the logarithm of respiration).

I have already recognized the origin of the problem: since c<min(x),
partial derivatives of y with respect to b and c are highly correlated.
I suppose that it can be solved by an appropriate re-parametrization,
but I was not able to find it. Could you suggest an appropriate
re-parametrization?

Thanks

Zoltan

--