[R-sig-eco] SAMs parameter selection

Marika Galanidi marika.galanidi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 12:34:56 CET 2016

Dear all,

I have been using Species Archetype Models (Dunstan et al 2011) to model
the distribution of benthic polychaete assemblages (presence/absence data).
I perform model selection as described in Leaper et al. (2014). However,
when using a particular sub-set of predictor variables, SpeciesMix returns
two different BIC values accompanied by different model parameters for the
exact same model (same predictor variables) at various stages in the
parameter selection process. Looking at the pi and tau values and the SEs
of the coefficients, one can draw certain conclusions but is there a more
rigorous way to proceed with model selection in this case?

Many thanks

Marika Galanidi
Post-Doctoral Researcher
Institute of Marine Science and Technology
Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir