[R-sig-eco] AIC in R: back-transforming standardized model parameters (slopes)

Bob O'Hara bohara at senckenberg.de
Tue Jan 12 16:16:15 CET 2016

On 12/01/16 10:54, Matt Perkins wrote:
> Hi Drew and R-help,
>
> Many thanks for your email, and your explanations and suggestions have been very helpful in aiding me to understand this problem. Should you, or anyone else on the helplist have time, perhaps I may elaborate on my problem with a little more detail.
>
> I appreciate the pragmatic suggestion to use a non-standardised model to extract ‘real’ slope values that I can report, which is great to hear as I had thought to do this, but wasn’t certain of its legitimacy, so extra support in this direction gives me confidence. However, as I am actually running a number of analyses this approach only works when AIC identifies a clear single best model; in some of these analyses AIC finds good evidence for multiple models in the top model set, such that I use model averaging to produce averaged parameter estimates. Obviously with model averaged parameters, it is not possible to run an alternate non-standardised model. So I need to be able to take a model averaged slope parameter estimate from the averaged model summary and back-transform it to a real slope value.
Oh well, that makes things much easier - you shouldn't use model
averaged parameters. They're close to meaningless. :-) (see here, for
example: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1890/14-1639.1/full).

In your case, I don't think you need to worry at all about model
selection: you are actually interested in the interaction, so you need
it in the model. Beyond that, just follow Phil Dixon's advice.

Bob

> [...]
> 30.5	ice	35	12.51	-0.35
> 30.5	ice	36	11.94	-0.35
> 58.5	ice	33	12.02	-0.03
> 58.5	ice	34	11.63	-0.03
> 58.5	ice	35	12.22	-0.03
> 58.5	ice	36	11.99	-0.03
> 93	ice	33	11.97	0.37
> 93	ice	34	11.80	0.37
> 93	ice	35	12.45	0.37
> 93	ice	36	11.89	0.37
> 120	ice	33	12.08	0.68
> 120	ice	34	11.68	0.68
> 120	ice	35	12.55	0.68
> 120	ice	36	12.25	0.68
>

> model1 –  interaction (global) model, unstandardised
> Fixed effects:
>                                                     Estimate     Std. Error    t value
> (Intercept)                                12.522535   0.197024   63.56
> time                                             0.008156   0.001134    7.19
> air.iceice                                     -0.801936   0.278634   -2.88
> time:air.iceice                           -0.004442   0.001604   -2.77
>

> stdz.model1 – interaction (global) model, standardised
> Fixed effects:
>                                                    Estimate     Std. Error    t value
> (Intercept)                                12.48242    0.13051   95.65
> z.time                                          0.50782    0.06861    7.40
> c.air.ice                                      -1.07202    0.26102   -4.11
> z.time:c.air.ice                          -0.38008    0.13722   -2.77
>

> model3 – interaction (global) model, with manually standardised “time” variable
> Fixed effects:
>                                                     Estimate     Std. Error    t value
> (Intercept)                                  13.0184     0.1846   70.54
> std.Time                                        0.3979     0.1469    2.71
> air.iceice                                      -1.0720     0.2610   -4.11
> std.Time:air.iceice                      -0.1460     0.2078   -0.70
>

> stdz.model2 – main effects model, unstandardised
> Fixed effects:
>                                                      Estimate   Std. Error   t value
> (Intercept)                             12.6575787  0.1923837   65.79
> time                                          0.0059351  0.0008929    6.65
> air.iceice                                 -1.0720225  0.2610155   -4.11
>

> model2 – main effects model, standardised
> Fixed effects:
>                                        Estimate   Std. Error    t value
> (Intercept)                 12.48242     0.13051      95.65
> z.time                            0.50782     0.07639       6.65
> c.air.ice                        -1.07202     0.26102     -4.11
>

> Model-averaged coefficients:
>                                                      Estimate    Std. Error    z value    Pr(>|z|)
> (Intercept)                                 12.48242     0.13051     95.645   < 2e-16 ***
> c.air.ice                                       -1.07202     0.26102     4.107     4.01e-05 ***
> z.time                                           0.50782      0.06954     7.302    < 2e-16 ***
> c.air.ice:z.time                          -0.38008       0.13722     2.770     0.00561 **

Bob O'Hara

Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre
Senckenberganlage 25
D-60325 Frankfurt am Main,
Germany

Tel: +49 69 7542 1863