[R-sig-eco] How to fit a logistic discrete function!

Frank Berninger frankberninger at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 10:58:38 CET 2016

Actually an interesting question. I think it depends on the data you have.

If you have single survey of your population (e.g a survey where you
have population sizes and ages, each population is measured one time)
the only method would ordinarly least square (e.g. the nls function).

If you have populations measured several times you might look at a range
of options usually going to non-linear mixed model (best is probably the
nlme package). Option one would be to fit population size to age using
nlme and then introduce the identity of the population as random effect
and putting possibly autoregressive function as correlation into the
function.

Another strategy would be to estimate growth rate (instead of population
size) by derivating your function. This might help you to get rid of
your autoregressive terms but might also cause other problems (less
reliable parameters etc).

Both ways are not trivial you would expect problems in convergence and
you might have to simplify the random effect structure to be able to
estimate the model.