[R-sig-eco] Independence of vegetation samples

Michael Marsh swamp at blarg.net
Thu Sep 3 17:19:07 CEST 2015

Reading David Warton's reply to Rajendra made me realize that my
question (below) is related to his, and that I should specify the
objectives of my investigation. I'm interested to see if there are
separate, distinguishable plant communities/associations related to
environmental variables, and if these relationships differ among the
different vegetation life forms (e.g., shrubs, graminoids, herbaceous
annuals or perennials). I've used mrpp() to test for closeness of
relationships among clusters distinguished by hclust() and mvpart()
clustering, and used manova() as a further test of the responses of life
forms to different environmental variables. ,

Original question:
Is there a method in R for testing for independence of vegetation
samples, for example because of relative proximity of different samples?
I would like to treat the 3 radially arranged transects of Jornada Line
Point Index plots as different sample units.
Mike Marsh
Washington Native Plant Society