[R-sig-eco] CSS normalization of amplicon data in ordination?

microbiomics microbiomics at mytng.de
Wed Oct 7 21:49:09 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Since this is my first post in this list: Hello to everyone reading!

In order to use ecological count data in ordination methods like
Principal Component Analysis (PCA) or Redundancy Analysis (RDA), they
have to be transformed. Ecologists [1,2] proposed a number of useful
transformations for count data, such as chi-square or Hellinger
transformation, which are also available in the decostand function of
the vegan package.

With the advent of high-throughput sequencing, ordination methods have
been applied to metagenomic sequence counts (namely of 16S rDNA
amplicons). I have been using Hellinger transformation with such data in
combination with RDA for quite a while with satisfactory results.

In the past years, new normalization techniques specifically suited for
metagenomic count data, namely cumulative-sum scaling (CSS) [3] were
developed. The authors claim that their CSS method is superior to
traditional total-sum scaling (TSS). TSS is also the first step in
Hellinger transformation (followed by taking the square root).

I am thus wondering if I should switch to CSS transformation of
amplicon counts for use in RDA - probably in combination with
square-root transformation to lessen the impact of highly abundant taxa.

Any experience with this matter or suggestions from your side?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts with me!