[R-sig-eco] Differences between total constrained inertia (rda) and variance explained (varpart()) in vegan

Tim Richter-Heitmann trichter at uni-bremen.de
Mon Nov 2 14:58:45 CET 2015

Dear list,

when i perform RDA on a species set constrained with a set of
predictors, which i have tested for their relevance by forward
selection, i get values for inertia:

Inertia Proportion Rank
Total         0.12626    1.00000
Constrained   0.05493    0.43507   11
Unconstrained 0.07133    0.56493   48

So, the amount of explained inertia is
0.05493/0.1262

or roughly 43%.

I am now grouping the same predictors into three groups (soil,
vegetation, space) and perform varpart() on them, i
get a total variance (sum of all explained variance) explained of only
30%. This has been consistent for me in a variety of datasets.
Can somebody explain to me the difference?

Thank you!

--
Tim Richter-Heitmann (M.Sc.)
PhD Candidate

International Max-Planck Research School for Marine Microbiology
University of Bremen
Microbial Ecophysiology Group (AG Friedrich)
FB02 - Biologie/Chemie
Leobener Straße (NW2 A2130)
D-28359 Bremen
Tel.: 0049(0)421 218-63062