[R-sig-eco] Functional response using frair package

Daniel Pritchard daniel at pritchard.co
Wed May 13 22:27:54 CEST 2015

Hi Luis,

"Functional Response Analysis" is, at it's core, just non-linear curve fitting. So any book or manuscript that helps you along this path will help. Personally, I found Ritz and Streibig (2008) and then recently Bolker et al (2013) quite helpful, but there are many other resources out there.

When undertaking FR analyses specifically, just about any methods for analysing, plotting and interpreting non-linear curves will work, but Juliano (2001) and Bolker (2008) give some good FR-specific advice.

The purpose of FRAIR, such as it is, was to make fitting this specific group of non-linear curves just a little bit easier. It provides nice wrappers for common curve fits and some simple (though somewhat naive) plotting and comparison methods.

We hoped that by making this easier we might address some common errors we saw in some FR analyses (especially regarding bootstrapping of these curves) but, yes, I agree a nice vignette would be more helpful.

People on this list might have some advice (either about FR curves specifically, or non-linear curve fitting generally). If you have any specific questions about FRAIR, please don't hesitate to contact me off list.

Regards,
Dan

Bolker, BM (2008) Ecological Models and Data in R. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
Bolker BM and others (2013) Strategies for fitting nonlinear ecological models in R, AD Model Builder, and BUGS. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 4: 501-512.
Juliano SA (2001) Nonlinear curve fitting: Predation and functional response curves. In: Scheiner SM, Gurevitch J (eds). Design and analysis of ecological experiments. Oxford University Press
Ritz, C. and Streibig, J. C.  2008.  Nonlinear Regression with R.  Springer Science
Trexler, J. C., McCulloch, C. E., and Travis, J.  1988.  How can the functional reponse best be determined Oecologia, 76: 206-214.

Daniel Pritchard
daniel at pritchard.co