[R-sig-eco] Partitioning spatial effects using trend surface analysis or PCNM

trichter at uni-bremen.de trichter at uni-bremen.de
Wed May 6 19:27:40 CEST 2015

Hi,

thank you very much for your advise as well.
The point was, that i already saw the community shift by simple
clustering/heatmapping the abundance tables. In fact, less than 20%
OTUs are shared between the 10 samples featuring that dramatic
community shift and the vast majority of the rest of the samples. So,
indeed the dominating OTUs in these 10 samples represent rare species
in the entire dataset, but they are very dominant in those 10.
I started with the rule of thumb to check for the axis length of the
DCA; it was long enough to decide for CCA for the further downstream
analysis. I have to admit that i never touched RDA until i realized
that my variance partitioning approach (vegan's varpart) was actually
using RDA rather than CCA; i thus calculated partial RDAs as well, but
i realized that RDA couldnt separate my "outlying samples" from the
rest. However, the separation is real in terms of OTU abundances, so i
figured that RDA is not the best tool to visualize my data.
I now have learned that CCA was just very sensible to these highly
different samples (in fact if you look at the ordination plot, cca1 is
only separating the 10 samples from the rest, but is not able to
resolve the remaining samples - these are separated by cca2).
I will now do a varpart with both RDA on hellinger and chi2
transformed OTU tables and see if the results are dramatically
different.

Thank you again!

Tim