[R-sig-eco] Partitioning spatial effects using trend surface analysis or PCNM

trichter trichter at uni-bremen.de
Wed May 6 11:47:15 CEST 2015

Thank you very much for adressing my problem.

Maybe i can re-formulate it in a different way - moving away from
specific partial CCA/RDAs to the core of my task.

If said task is the approximate quantification of partial effects on my
bacterial counts (for example edaphic soil properties, above-ground
plant diversity, and spatial autocorrelation) via the varpart function
in vegan, is the classical way of having orthogonal polynomes of the x,y
axis as CCA/RDA constraints still considered valid?

If i understand you correctly, i would alternatively:
- generate PCNMs from my x,y coordinate matrices
- extract those with a Moran I >0
- perform a RDA/CCA with forward selection
- use the PCNM found to be significant in the varpart function?

I think the only forward selection for CCA would be ordistep function in
vegan. What would be an acceptable treshold for entering into my final
set of accepted significant PCNMs?

The other problem is that on the one hand, RDA is not able to separate
my community shifts as well as CCA, on the other hand varpart is based
on RDA. I wonder if i can justify using varpart when my ordination of
choice is based on CCA. But i have never seen a dedicated variance
partition function for CCA. I just read an old answer of yours:
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/partitioning-variation-using-the-Vegan-CCA-routine-td823966.html

So, i can basically transform my raw data to chi2 and use them in an RDA
to have a CCA proxy?

Thank you very much! as you can see, i am not really trained in statistics.

Tim

--
Tim Richter-Heitmann (M.Sc.)
PhD Candidate

International Max-Planck Research School for Marine Microbiology
University of Bremen
Microbial Ecophysiology Group (AG Friedrich)
FB02 - Biologie/Chemie
Leobener Straße (NW2 A2130)
D-28359 Bremen
Tel.: 0049(0)421 218-63062