[R-sig-eco] Plot NMDS with size of the points related to abundance

Roman Luštrik roman.lustrik at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 16:39:05 CET 2015

Assuming you're working with metaMDS from vegan, it's trivial to extract
NMDS scores, add some variable and plot the data. The following code would
be easy to translate into a generic function.

library(vegan)

data(dune)
sol <- metaMDS(dune)

# add some variable that will correspond to size of points
spc <- as.data.frame(cbind(sol$species, mysize = runif(nrow(sol$species))))
pts <- as.data.frame(sol$points)

library(ggplot2)

ggplot(spc, aes(x = MDS1, y = MDS2)) +
  theme_bw() +
  geom_point(aes(size = mysize), pch = 1) +
  geom_point(data = pts, color = "red")

Cheers,
Roman

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Barbara Baraibar Padro <bub14 at psu.edu>
wrote:

> Hello list,
> I am analyzing species composition of weeds in 12 cover crop treatments
> and a fallow plot. I have been using nmds and got good results and no
> problems with it (although after some fighting!). My data is a matrix of
> biomass values sorted by species. Now I'd like to know which of my species
> are contributing with more biomass to the community in each treatment, that
> is, I'd like to create a graph such as the one that you get from the option
> "plot (nmds_model,  type="t", display=c("species")) but instead of getting
> just the names of the species, I'd like to see dots of different sizes that
> would refer to the abundance of each of the species, is that possible at
> all? I know you can do it with CANOCO but wanted to ask if there is a way
> to do it in R.
>
> I have searched the internet and found something that looks like what I
> want to do (enclosed to the mail) but haven't found the way to do it.
>
> I have already done an Indicator Species Analysis with the multipatt
> function. That gives me information about the species that are related to
> some treatments but here I'm just looking for the species with more and
> less biomass in each treatment.
>
> Thank you very much!!
> Barbara
>

> --
> Barbara Baraibar
> Post-doctoral scholar - Weed and Applied Plant Ecology
> Plant Sciences Department
> Penn State University
> University Park, Pennsylvania 16802
>
> web-site:http://www.weedecologypsu.com