[R-sig-eco] life forms spectrum analysis

Aitor Gastón aitor.gaston at upm.es
Mon Mar 16 23:59:26 CET 2015

Hi Ludovico,

You can compare the proportion of each life form using logistc regression,
an example with simulated data for 20 plots:

set.seed(100)
n<-20
population<-sample(c("A","B"),n,replace=T)
lifeform1count<-round(runif(n,0,100),0)
otherlifeformscount<-round(runif(n,0,100),0)
f<-glm(cbind(lifeform1count,otherlifeformscount)~population,family=binomial)
summary(f)#significant difference between populations p=0.01137
plogis(coef(f)[1])#mean proportion of life form 1 in population A
plogis(coef(f)[1]+coef(f)[2]) #mean proportion of life form 1 in population

You can run one model for each life form, but maybe multinomial regression
is more correct (never tried)

Aitor