[R-sig-eco] Compute the distance between the trajectories of two animals with varying sampling intervals

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Thu Jul 23 04:24:43 CEST 2015

Hi André,

Yes, that's one way to do it. If you already have a single ltraj with all
individuals (one individual per burst), you can simply give it the ltraj
alone. With a single ltraj, the function looks for the closest point in
other bursts. Check the example of the function.

Note that I do not guarantee that my function is efficient! This is R:
there is no use of spatial indexes or bounding boxes, so that for each
point, distances are computed to all other points in the temporal window.
Depending on your data, I guess it could be fairly slow...

Again, if you're looking for performance and/or robustness, I would give a
try to PostGIS here.
Mathieu.

Le 22/07/2015 15:31, André Zehnder a écrit :
> Thank you for all your answers!
>
> @ Krzysztof: Yes, I think an approximated method that uses only the nearest points to compute the distance will suffice. When I include a threshold that ensures that only temporal differences smaller than xy minutes are taken into consideration, reasonable results should be achievable.
>
> @ Sarah: I think you are referring to the simulation of a Brownian motion by the function simm.bb()  for an exact solution? I could not find a function that directly computes the distances. Or did I miss something?
>
> @ Jeremy: Thanks for the hint! A also stumbled upon the pathFrechet() / distFrechet() function of longitudinalData but rejected them because they seem not to include the temporal dimension. However, this seems to be only an erroneous information of inside-r. When I looked at the official reference manual I saw that distFrechet() considers the time as well.
>
> @ Mathieu: That is pretty much what I am intending to do for a first (and possibly also final) try, thanks! So I need to input the ltray-object of the first individual  as 'from' and the other one as 'to' in order to check the distances between their closest points, right? I also tried to program something like that but the result is shockingly time inefficient and might still contain some errors. So I will probably try out your function tomorrow :)
>
> Best regards
> Andre

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard