[R-sig-eco] manova repeated measures + Error

Steve Brewer jbrewer at olemiss.edu
Fri Feb 13 22:51:49 CET 2015

Marina,

Eu falo um pouco de Português.

I don't think my suggestion will result in pseudoreplication. Assuming there
is only one adult individual per plot, plot is the random source of error.
When you specify "plot" as the error term, I believe R will sum (or average)
the responses across all times within each plot and use this sum to test the
between-subjects effects of nurse, target, and nurse:target interaction.

I think it would be pseudoreplicaton if you specified no error term or
specifically used an error term that was equivalent to the observation
number. In that case, you would not get separate between-subjects and
within-subjects tests. It's easy to check though. Give it a try and check
the between subjects and within subjects error df.

It wasn't clear to me what the between-subjects anova table was. Time should
not be one of the between-subjects effects.

I'm also not clear as to what the "target" treatment is. Can I assume the
same three seedling species are used in each plot? Are you averaging the
seedling responses within each plot? The large residuals error df (which
seems too large) suggests that you're calculating and analyzing a separate
RII for each seedling species and not averaging them. If so, THAT is
pseudoreplication. Target species should be treated as a split-plot effect.
This complicates the design and analysis greatly. The resulting anova table
would need to be partitioned into four parts!

Between subjects – whole plot
Nurse____________________________________________df = 20-1 = 19
Whole plot bs error = Plot(Nurse)_______________________df = (5-1)*20 = 80

Within subjects – whole plot
Time_____________________________________________df = 8-1 = 7
Nurse*Time_______________________________________df = (20-1)*(8-1) = 133
whole plot ws error =Time*Plot(Nurse)__________________df = (8-1)*(5-1)*20 =
560

Between subjects – split plot
Target____________________________________________df = (3-1) = 2
Nurse*Target______________________________________df = (20-1)*(3-1) = 38
Whole-plot bs error = Target*Plot(Nurse)________________df= (3-1)*(5-1)*20 =
160

Within subjects – split plot
Time*Target_______________________________________df = (8-1)*(3-1) = 14
Time:Nurse:Target__________________________________df = (8-1)*(20-1)*(3-1) =
266
Split-plot ws error = Time:Target:Plot(Nurse)______________df =
(8-1)*(3-1)*(5-1)*(20) = 1120

Total df = 2399 or 2400 – 1, 20 nurse species x 5 plots x 3 target species x
8 weeks minus 1.

I'm not sure how to advise you on how to get R to do this with manova.

Do you really need to do a repeated measures analysis? Why not just use the
first and last measurements of height and leaf number, log transform them,
and obtain relative height growth rate and a relative leaf production rate.
You could then take the difference between these relative rates between the
two quadrants (one with the target species and one without) to obtain a
measure of interaction intensity. That would eliminate the time variable and
make it a simple split-plot analysis.

Good luck,
Steve

J. Stephen Brewer