[R-sig-eco] Questions about pattern recognition of weed photos

Richard Rice rrice899 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 22:07:37 CEST 2015

 First some background. I
collect weed species data in the field for the Washington state dept
of natural resources(DNR). There are several Android apps for
identifying weeds by looking at photos but none that I can find by
comparing a photo that I take with my Android phone with a
downloadable database of known weed species. What I'd like to do is
write an app that downloads DNR's weed photos of which there are about
1200 to my phone, find a weed in the field, take a photo and compare
it with DNR's photos to see if there is a match. This would save me a
lot of time and hopefully reduce errors.
Does this sound feasible?
Is R capable of this?

Best Regards,

Richard