[R-sig-eco] adonis or other multi-variate approaches to examine community change over time given main effect of treatment

Chris Holmes holmess1 at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 8 23:33:43 CEST 2015

Hello All,
I have a large data set where I am interested in answering the question
of whether initial conditions (i.e. our initial treatments) influenced
the community composition over time. We have 10 replicates for each
treatment and species abundances for 15+ species. My question is, I have
seen approaches to use adonis and capscale to analyze the question of do
sites change over time (omitting the treatment factor, as I have in my
design). A summary of those codes can be found in this paper:
http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/10-2138.1

However, my question is, is what I seek to do able to be properly done
using adonis and/or capscale? In short, I am interested in the
interactive treatment x time interaction.

For example, Consider a case in which I expect to see no effect of time
or treatment:
#DATA
speciesmatrix <- matrix(rnorm(3 * 6 * 20, 50, 10), nrow = 3 * 6, ncol = 20,
          dimnames = list(1:18, paste("Sp", 1:20, sep = "")))
#TIME AND TREATMENT VECTORS
time <- as.ordered(rep(1:3, 6))
site <- gl(6, 3)
treatment <- gl(3,6)
#ADONIS
adonis(speciesmatrix~treatment*time,permutations=1000, method="bray")

Call:
adonis(formula = speciesmatrix ~ treatment * time, permutations = 1000,
method = "bray")

Contrast this when I add an effect of treatment by adding 100 to each
treatment 3:
#Add 100 to each species in treatment 3
speciesmatrix[treatment==3,] <-  speciesmatrix[treatment==3,] + 100

#Adonis
adonis(speciesmatrix~treatment*time,permutations=1000, method="bray")

After this, I see an effect of treatment. Great!
Now let's add 50 to each species in time 2, and 75 to each species at
time 3 (still having the effect of treatment by 100 being added to
treatment 3 in the previous analysis) to see if this will produce a
treatment x time effect
speciesmatrix[time==2,] <- speciesmatrix[time==2,] + 50
speciesmatrix[time==3,] <- speciesmatrix[time==3,] + 75

adonis(speciesmatrix~treatment*time,permutations=1000, method="bray")
According to this, I see the effect that I expected. However, my
question is, is this the proper way to analyze this data? I have seen
others treat each site as a strata, but when I incorporate those into my
models the results I expect to see given my toy data fall apart. For
example, I wouldn't see an effect of treatment after adding 100 to
treatment 3.

Any help would be very much appreciated because I have been struggling
with this problem for a long time!